I have developed this list to maximize your success at sketching quickly on location. These items are all you need to use my methods. So, leave your other art supplies at home.
I will provide a clear vinyl hands-free pouch for all supplies.
• Sketch book #1: white or ivory color, Mixed Media surface 5 x 8” to 8 x 10”: 100 to 180 lb. paper with slight “tooth” (texture). Suggested: Visual Journal with “mixed media” surface.
• Black Micron pen, size .08 (waterproof)
• Black Faber-Castell B (brush tip) or SB (Small Brush tip) pen (waterproof)
- Aquarelle (water soluble) pencils:, about 8 colors: burnt sienna, olive green, indigo, red, purple, orange, teal, yellow ochre. Caran d’Ache Supracolor or Faber-Castell Albrecht Durer are best brands. Don’t buy a whole set of pencils, you can save money buy getting them individually.
- a rainbow pencil (not water-soluble), which produces different colors as you turn it.
- a pencil sharpener with container for shavings
- Waterbrush with a hollow barrel (medium or large tip) to fill with water, used to liquify the pigment in aquarelle pencil strokes.
- Uni-ball Signo white gel pen. like a ball-point pen, used for opaque white lines.
Sketch book #2: Strathmore Toned (tan or gray) sketch paper, 5.5 x 8.5 (or similar), view-finder, Prismacolor white pencil (NOT water-soluble) for tinted paper.
- VERY useful for your comfort and safety: sun hat or visor, drinking water, sunscreen, a light-weight collapsible stool.