I have developed this list to maximize your success at sketching quickly on location. These items are all you need to use my methods. So, please leave your other art supplies at home.
I can provide you with a complete supplies kit in a clear vinyl hands-free pouch for $900 pesos ($45 USD)
• Sketch book #1: white or ivory color, Mixed Media surface 5 x 8” to 8 x 10”: 100 to 180 lb. paper with slight “tooth” (texture). Suggested: Visual Journal with “mixed media” surface.
• Black Micron pen, size .08 (waterproof)
• Black Faber-Castell SC (Soft Chisel) or SB (Small Brush) pen (waterproof)
- Aquarelle (water soluble) pencils:, about 9 colors: burnt sienna, olive green, indigo, red, purple, orange, teal, yellow ochre, pink. Caran d’Ache Supracolor or Faber-Castell Albrecht Durer are best brands. Don’t buy a whole set of pencils, you can save money by getting them individually.
- rainbow pencil, produces different colors as you turn it.
- a pencil sharpener with container for shavings
- Waterbrush with a hollow barrel (medium or large tip) to fill with water, used to liquify the pigment in aquarelle pencil strokes.
Sketch book #2: Strathmore Toned (tan or gray) sketch paper, 5.5 x 8.5 (or similar), view-finder, Prismacolor white pencil (NOT water-soluble) for tinted paper.
- Uni-ball Signo white gel pen. like a ball-point pen, used for opaque white lines.
- VERY useful for your comfort and safety: sun hat or visor, drinking water, sunscreen, a light-weight collapsible stool. In San Miguel, stools are available for about 100 pesos at Calle Insurgentes #50.