Finally back, posting after a long hiatus. I was working on two major projects, the…
I have developed this list to maximize your success at sketching quickly on location. These items are all you need to use my methods. So, please leave your other art supplies at home.
• Sketch book: white or ivory color, Mixed Media surface 5 x 8” to 8 x 10”: 100 to 180 lb. paper with slight “tooth” (texture). Suggested: Visual Journal “mixed media” surface or Diseno all-purpose sketch 15.2 x 22.9 cm size
• Black Micron pen, size .08 (waterproof ink) or similar
• Black Brush Pen: Sakura Pigma MB or Faber-Castell SB or similar
• Aquarelle (water soluble) pencils:, about 8 colors MAXIMUM: burnt sienna, olive green, indigo, red, purple, orange, teal, yellow ochre. Caran d’Ache Supracolor or Faber-Castell Albrecht Durer are best brands.
- a pencil sharpener (Spanish: sacapuntas) with container for shavings
- Waterbrush with a hollow barrel (medium or large tip) to fill with water, used to liquify the pigment in aquarelle pencil.
- Optional: rainbow pencil (changes color as you turn it)
• Sketch book: 5.5 x 8.5 Toned (tan or gray) sketch paper,
- Black Micron pen, size .08 (waterproof ink) or similar
- Black Brush Pen: Sakura Pigma MB or Faber-Castell SB or similar
- Prismacolor-type Black pencil (NOT graphite!)
- Prismacolor-type White pencil
- One or two bright-colored pencils: red, yellow, light blue/green
- Uni-ball Signo white gel pen. like a ball-point pen, used for opaque white lines. (hard to find in Mexico).
- a pencil sharpener with container for shavings
- VERY useful for your comfort and safety: sun hat or visor, drinking water, sunscreen, a light-weight collapsible stool. In San Miguel, stools are available for about 120 pesos at Calle Insurgentes #50.
I strongly recommend that you purchase a complete supplies kit from me. This will save you time, and avoid confusion about what materials are needed/or not. Everything comes in a clear vinyl hands-free pouch:
List #1: $1,000 pesos (about $50 USD)
List #2: $800 pesos (about $40 USD)